Friday, January 30, 2009

If Its Not One Thing It's Another

Just an update on our little Ethan. He ran fever till Wednesday morning so on Thursday he acted so much better and I sent him to school. When he came home at 3:00 he went to hand me his folder from school and I noticed a rash on his hand. I pulled up his sleeve and yep you guessed it the rash was all up his arm. I told him to take off his shirt so I could check his back and stomach. No rash. I checked his legs and feet and he had a little there. I checked his bum and it was covered. I called my sister to see what she thought and as I was on the phone I looked at him and now he had it on his face, neck and a patch on his stomach. It was spreading right in front of my face!!! I hung up from her and called the Doctor thinking that it was an allergic reaction. They took him off the antibiotics for 24 hrs then back on with 1/2 the dose to see if that is it. I have never had my kids break out like that and it was scary to see it spread so quick. This morning the rash was mostly gone. I have to admit that I am scared to give him the medicine I don't think I will give it tonight I will wait till morning when I can watch what happens more closely. I am afraid that his reaction next time will be worse.Poor kid, If its not one thing it is another around here.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't see Ethan and you didn't ask but I LOVE my job and see tons of this in the ER. I wouldn't worry TOO much if the rash doesn't itch and he doesn't have any other signs of allergic reaction such and difficulty breathing, joint involvement, etc. You did exactly the right thing to stop the med and get in touch with the doc. Lot's of kids get an antibiotic rash and it's just a side effect, not an allergic reaction at all. AND, then there are all those virus' that show up after the fever is gone and make us think it has something to do with the med rather than the illness. When you take an allergic child off the med there should still be some sign of the reaction the next day and it's safer to have the doc take a look than to forever brand him as "allergic to...." I hope he's all better by now!

    ReplyDelete