Monday, February 16, 2009

Fire Drill

Last Summer we made a trip to see Uncle Sparky at his Fire Station in Park City. He showed us all around the trucks, fire station, and what the firemen looked like all dressed in their gear. Since then Ethan has wanted to be a firefighter like his hero Uncle Sparky!!! That was until last Saturday......
Brady was hanging our heat sensor alarms and extra fire alarms in the house. He was installing the batteries and testing each alarm. Ethan came in when one of the alarms went off and FREAKED OUT. He panicked and got really scared. I calmed him down and explained what Dad was doing. He has never been one for loud noises and has sensitive ears. Brady and I realized that it would be a good idea to have a fire drill and prepare him as to what to do in case their ever was a fire. So for Family Home Evening we made our plan, talked about what to do, where to meet, and what Uncle Sparky had taught us about not hiding from Firemen or being scared. Then we had SEVERAL fire drills, complete with the real alarm,and role playing what to do from each room of the house. I think it really helped Ethan with his fear. He really seemed to understand what we were trying to tell him. Garrison on the other hand was a challenge. He ran around the house looking for the "fire" and THEN would take off full speed out the door to the meeting place. I am sure it is normal for someone his age not to completely understand. I just hope and pray that if it really happened he would be ok and not think we were playing a game. I think that we will continue our family fire drills in hope that the routine will become second nature the more we do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment