Friday, July 10, 2009

Sounding Just Like My Parents

I made a quick trip to Salt Lake this week with the boys in tow, to tackle some vacation preparation shopping I needed to do. We left in the afternoon which usually means the boys will sleep most of the way there; but not this trip. They were constantly fighting in the backseat. Mainly over Garrison's plans for the future. The ride went like this. Ethan: "Mom, I think that I want to be a firefighter when I grow up." Mom: "I think that is a great thing to want to be" (Driving. I can tell Garrison is thinking about something but doesn't want to say. Pretty soon he pipes up) Garrison: "Mom, I don't want to be a firefighter when I grow up." Mom: That's OK you can be ANYTHING you want when you grow up." Garrison: "When I grow up I want to make Captain Crunch Cereal!!!" (Far cry from the Doctor, Lawyer, or Successful business man I had pictured; but I did say ANYTHING) Ethan immediately pipes in "That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard" (And thus starts Garrison defending how cool it would be to make Captain Crunch Cereal for a living and Ethan telling him what a dumb idea it is and me trying first to ignore the battle in the back seat by turning up the radio and singing along. When that didn't work I tried unsuccessfully to try and break up the fight and finally had to use THE THREAT.)
Mom: "DON'T MAKE ME PULL THIS CAR OVER AND WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN BE QUIET!!!"

Needless to say it worked and we continued the drive with whisper fighting in the back seat. For the drive home I caved and stopped at the local Walmart and purchased YET ANOTHER DVD player so that we had complete peace and quiet on the way home. I just wish I had done it sooner!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Kari. Not only do you sound like "your" parents, you sound just like your mother in law!! It is so fun to listen to you kids having the same problems that I had when I was raising your husband and his brothers. Keep up the good work. Love it!!
    Love Nelda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why does this sound so familiar? How did our parents survive without DVD players? My kids like the "she's looking at me!!" fight the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA HA HA!!! That is soo hilarious! I bet Garrison would be the BEST capt. crunch maker EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey bought another DVD player myself for the drive to the campgrounds. Been there, done that too, don't leave home without it, or we get "She/He's sooooo annoying!!!!!" being yelled over the already too loud radio that is turned up to drown out the first petty grievance.

    ReplyDelete