Sunday, April 26, 2009

Concrete!

This past week we have been busy pouring concrete in the backyard to prepare for our sprinkling system and grass!!!
Brady has finished the front yard prep work a few weeks ago and wanted to put the sprinkler system and grass in and not worry about the backyard till this fall. NOOO WAAY! My only request was to have grass in the BACKYARD this spring where the kids play. I don't care about the front. Nobody plays out there and we have a cement walk way to the door.
He tried to get out of it by saying we needed to pour concrete from the deck to the garage so he could level out the backyard.He said he would need new tools for the job! (No job can be done without NEW tools I have learned) He thought I would say we could wait. But I didn't!. So we bought the concrete and tools on Sutherlands Customer Appectation day and got 15% off! He tried to discourage me by having me do some prep work, and telling me I would have to help pour the concrete. All I could say was "BRING IT ON!!"

So last Monday we poured the step and pad straight off the deck. I have never worked so hard so fast in my life. Brady had me running.More out of punishment than was needed come to find out. I was the one lifting the 80 lbs bags of concrete with the pocket-knife in my mouth, from the truck, stepping up on the railroad ties, from the hole he dug to put the wheelbarrow under the mixer, and lifting them what felt like over my head, cutting the bag and dumping the mix into the concrete mixer, mixing it with water then repeating it. As fast as I could!!!

All while he dumped the wheelbarrow and pushed the concrete around till we had enough LAUGHING at me the entire time. I am proud to say I did it and 22 bags of concrete later we were done and my arms were JELLO.



On Friday, our friend Ryan came over and helped Brady pour the remaining sidewalk which only took 10 bags. This time their was no yelling to go faster and they even had time to goof off a little.





I told you I would post this picture RYAN, paybacks for soaking me with the hose!



This time Brady didn't ask me to help, to which I was secretly thankful! After it had set a little we decided to let the boys, Brady and I put our handprints in for memories sake. We tried to get the dog to do it but he wouldn't cooperate.













Needless to say it is done, and Brady even finished leveling out the yard so he can till and put in the sprinkler system. I hope to be showing you grass in my backyard soon!!!

1 comment: