Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Activities

Since summer time is upon us; I am sure so many of you are planning your summer vacations, having BBQ's, swimming and enjoying the lazy days of summer. What are we doing you ask? Not working on our family vacation, Not BBQ-ing, NO lazy days of summer for us. This house is getting ready for what Brady considers a Highlight of summer. What every red-neck insane family is preparing for! He is spending every spare waking minute (and probably dreaming about) his derby cars for the SL county Fair!!

I don't really understand the thrill behind this hobby. He spends HOURS in the garage stripping the car, welding, cutting, trying to get the thing to run, re-wiring, hammering, changing tires, and painting this BABY of a car. It would make anyone who restores these cars SICK to see. Yet he does it MOST of the time with a smile on his face, singing along with his "Derby Tunes" (Jimmy Buffet "Cheese Burger in Paradise") as happy as a kid at Christmas. I have decided rather than fight him on this (He knows that those death traps make me nervous) I will join him in the building process. Maybe knowing how "Safe" he has made it will help with my sick feeling I get everytime he drives in the derby. (NO BRADY THIS DOES NOT MEAN I WILL DRIVE ONE JUST WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH YOU.)


He is beginning to brain wash our children in the thinking that this is a normal activity for families to do together. I can't tell you how many Family Home Evenings and Male Bonding times have happened with my boys in welding helmets, handing tools to Dad and having the time of their lives!!


They will ask almost every weekend if there is a derby for us to go to; almost as if Saturday night derby's are as regular as Church on Sunday. It is just what we do in the summer.


Come the middle of August we will load up the cars on the trailer, and head to the Fair to enjoy 2 full days of snow cones, cotton candy, stinky animal pens, venders with over priced items to sell, and as much red-neck entertainment as we can handle. Brady will be sick to his stomach with excitment and I will be pulling my hair out keeping the boys entertained and happy. We will come home with a car half crushed, (he will want to use it in another derby) tired cranky children, and if we are lucky (really, really lucky) maybe even a little prize money!!


If you are lucky enough to go to the derby watch for Brady's cars. They will be the ones with Shine Auto Body and Pain on them.


3 comments:

  1. Wish I was there working on the car with you Brady. Looks like fun!!!! It needs flames painted on the hood.....

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEEEAAAHHH Brady! Keep it up. I will be there to watch every crunching minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope i can come and watch!!!

    ReplyDelete