Call me a sucker when it comes to my children but I love to take something they are interested in and run with it. Somehow the newness wears off and I end up taking care of things on my own. You think I would have learned from the goats but NOOOOO.
When Ethan came home and told me he would be hatching chicks in school I thought to myself "He has and amazing teacher! She really makes learning fun." That was until I learned that after the chicks hatch the children can bring them home. So naturally Ethan thinks this is the perfect opportunity to expand our small acre "farm". He has been fascinated with Grandpa's chickens and can't wait to check for eggs for breakfast. Not to mention the support from others telling me that it is a great step to becoming self reliant. And here I thought powdered eggs in food storage was enough. NOOOOOO again!
So I talked with my Dad and got Brady involved to help build a coop while I was away on a mini vacation this past weekend. I was thinking 6 chicks max and I come home to a coop that will hold 16. SIGH...... Now this doesn't mean we will be getting 16 chickens this year. Lets face it we wouldn't eat that many eggs. This just means we can expand as needed; or so Brady tells me. He thinks that I can do this as a part time job and sell Farm Fresh Eggs to anyone in the community. I just think that this is more animals for ME feed in the winter and try to keep warm. Lets face it they will tell me it is my project and they don't want them once they are big and it's cold outside.
Peeping out of the nesting boxes!
I don't think there is any eggs to gather yet!
Roosting
Oh well as long as my children are happy I will be taking care of chickens. Let me know if you want any Farm Fresh Eggs!!!!!!
Pictures of the chicks to come. He will be bringing one home around Easter so we will get the rest then.



Your boys will love it. Chickens are the best!
ReplyDeleteSuch a cute coop!